About Me

My photo
I am a theatre artist who is dedicated to integrating my dual passions: Theatre & Education. I am very devoted to helping students find their voice. It is my firm philosophy that creating theatre is crucial in shaping both individual and societal growth.
Welcome!

My name is Alyssa Mulligan.

I completed my undergraduate studies at the Pennsylvania State University, where I graduated at the top of my class with a B.A. in Theatre and a minor in Sociology. From stage to film, I have been fortunate to fill the roles of educator, actor, director, writer, producer, dramaturg, etc.

I was fortunate to work with the Walnut Street Theatre in Philadelphia as the 2009/10 Education Apprentice. My experiences there included integrating the arts into K-8th grade classroom curricula, running an after-school drama program, teaching courses at the Walnut, assistant teaching at HMS School for Children with Cerebral Palsy, developing various study guide materials for our multiple kids shows, and understudying all of the roles for our Touring Outreach Company.

I just recently completed my M.A. in Theatre Education at Emerson College in Boston, Massachusetts. While at Emerson College I was employed as both a Graduate Assistant to Dr. Robert Colby and in ArtsEmerson's Education/Outreach Department.

Currently, I am back in Philadelphia as a free-lance Teaching Artist working with theatre companies such as Walnut Street Theatre & Theatre Horizon. I am also employed by Darlington Arts Center as the Lead Teacher at their arts-based preschool.

Please feel free to look at my resume and samples of my work below!

Live Fully.
Laugh Often.
Love Much.

Just Be.

- Alyssa

ARTICLE: Comm Blog from Penn State

Thursday, February 12, 2009


Sitcom Tapings Open to Public

Open tapings of a sitcom project that combines the talents of students from the College of Communications and the College of Arts and Architecture will take place at 8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 13, and 8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 14, in the Pavilion Theater on campus. Subsequent tapings are set March 20 and March 21.

The project, known as "Sitcom 304," combines the talents of Penn State from the two colleges to to produce a sitcom that will make its debut online and on Penn State Network Television (PSN-TV) later this semester.

With guidance from faculty advisers Naomi McCormack, an assistant professor in the Department of Film-Video and Media Studies, and Dan Carter, director of the School of Theatre, both film and theatre students have been in charge of writing, filming, producing, editing and acting in Penn State’s first continuing episodic situation comedy.

“I’ve been trying to get this idea off the ground for almost 20 years at three different universities,” Carter said. “It originally was conceived as a television series, but was fraught with difficulties because television has such specific requirements. Then Thom Woodley, a 2000 graduate of both film and theatre at Penn State, pioneered Web-based series, and that model made this suddenly doable.”

“Sitcom 304” is about a group of college students living together in a house at an unnamed university. Described as a college-level “Friends,” the show revolves around six roommates who all have quirky characteristics and are learning to deal with the problems of men and women living together. The title, “304,” comes from the address of the house.

“This is a very big part of something we’d like to develop -- a collaboration between theatre and film,” McCormack said. “This is beneficial for both colleges, and we’re hoping to see the idea develop and continue.”

Students from both colleges involved in the sitcom can receive independent study credits, and McCormack is working on making the project into an official cross-listed communications and theatre course.

“Film students need good actors and usually can’t find them, and theatre students love acting in front of cameras,” said Joseph Buszka, a senior science major, film studies minor and executive producer for the show. “All the film classes I’ve taken have been extremely beneficial, but this is the most hands-on and the biggest challenge to organize. It’s really come a long way, and there’s a lot of experience to be gained from this as a class.”

http://psucommblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/sitcom-tapings-open-to-public.html