About Me

My photo
I am a theatre artist who is dedicated to integrating my dual passions: Theatre & Education. I am very devoted to helping students find their voice. It is my firm philosophy that creating theatre is crucial in shaping both individual and societal growth.
Welcome!

My name is Alyssa Mulligan.

I completed my undergraduate studies at the Pennsylvania State University, where I graduated at the top of my class with a B.A. in Theatre and a minor in Sociology. From stage to film, I have been fortunate to fill the roles of educator, actor, director, writer, producer, dramaturg, etc.

I was fortunate to work with the Walnut Street Theatre in Philadelphia as the 2009/10 Education Apprentice. My experiences there included integrating the arts into K-8th grade classroom curricula, running an after-school drama program, teaching courses at the Walnut, assistant teaching at HMS School for Children with Cerebral Palsy, developing various study guide materials for our multiple kids shows, and understudying all of the roles for our Touring Outreach Company.

I just recently completed my M.A. in Theatre Education at Emerson College in Boston, Massachusetts. While at Emerson College I was employed as both a Graduate Assistant to Dr. Robert Colby and in ArtsEmerson's Education/Outreach Department.

Currently, I am back in Philadelphia as a free-lance Teaching Artist working with theatre companies such as Walnut Street Theatre & Theatre Horizon. I am also employed by Darlington Arts Center as the Lead Teacher at their arts-based preschool.

Please feel free to look at my resume and samples of my work below!

Live Fully.
Laugh Often.
Love Much.

Just Be.

- Alyssa

ARTICLE: AATE Conference

Theatre Ed Students Make a Splash in Chicago

August 19, 2011
By Guest Blogger
This summer more than a dozen current Theatre Education MA students, faculty members, and alumni attended the American Alliance for Theatre & Education’s (AATE) annual conference in Chicago, Illinois. This professional development organization offers resources and networking opportunities for teachers, teaching artists, university researchers, artistic and education directors, playwrights, students, and more. The conference, which took place July 27-31, provided students with the opportunity to develop and host their own workshops and network with other theatre professionals.
When I first arrived on campus in Fall 2010 I was thrilled by the energy and excitement surrounding the informational session we hosted about the AATE conference. Many of the Theatre Education graduate students who attended this session immediately began developing their proposals for the November deadline. Several graduate students shared information about the GSA travel grants and as soon as many of them put the finishing touches on their work, they started applying for funding.
Over the summer, we hosted the first AATE Workshop Pilot Session, in which presenters got to “rehearse” their sessions with students who came out to provide support and feedback for their colleagues. We even Skyped in one of our collaborators who works in New York City, making the most of our technology, resources, and time. This workshop provided a forum for students to apply the skills they were learning in their classes in a practical setting and assess, reevaluate, and head back to the drawing board (if necessary) before presenting at the national conference.
Theatre Education Program Director Bob Colby beamed, “Everywhere in the conference, people were coming up to me to talk about how impressive the Emerson students were, both leading and participating in the workshops.”
Several of these sessions included “Let the Seventy-Fourth Hunger Games Begin: Experiencing and Reflecting Upon Young Adult Literature through Dramatic Exercises. And May the Odds be Ever in your Favor!” facilitated by Jessica Batey and Daniel Mahler; “The Right to Play: Engaging Young People in a Reflection on Human Rights Issues through Theatre Games,” which I facilitated with Melissa Bergstrom, Lindsay Weitkamp, and our colleague Alex Sarian, who is the Director of Education at the MMC Theatre in New York City; and The Playwriting Network’s Debut Panel, which featured the work of Alyssa Mulligan.
We look forward to even more Emerson College participation at the “Charging Ahead in Theatre Education” AATE 2012 conference in Lexington, Kentucky next summer!

http://admissionblog.emerson.edu/graduate/index.php/2011/08/19/theatre-ed-students-make-a-splash-in-chicago/