About Me

My photo
I am a theatre artist who is dedicated to integrating my dual passions: Theatre & Education. I am very devoted to helping students find their voice. It is my firm philosophy that creating theatre is crucial in shaping both individual and societal growth.
Welcome!

My name is Alyssa Mulligan.

I completed my undergraduate studies at the Pennsylvania State University, where I graduated at the top of my class with a B.A. in Theatre and a minor in Sociology. From stage to film, I have been fortunate to fill the roles of educator, actor, director, writer, producer, dramaturg, etc.

I was fortunate to work with the Walnut Street Theatre in Philadelphia as the 2009/10 Education Apprentice. My experiences there included integrating the arts into K-8th grade classroom curricula, running an after-school drama program, teaching courses at the Walnut, assistant teaching at HMS School for Children with Cerebral Palsy, developing various study guide materials for our multiple kids shows, and understudying all of the roles for our Touring Outreach Company.

I just recently completed my M.A. in Theatre Education at Emerson College in Boston, Massachusetts. While at Emerson College I was employed as both a Graduate Assistant to Dr. Robert Colby and in ArtsEmerson's Education/Outreach Department.

Currently, I am back in Philadelphia as a free-lance Teaching Artist working with theatre companies such as Walnut Street Theatre & Theatre Horizon. I am also employed by Darlington Arts Center as the Lead Teacher at their arts-based preschool.

Please feel free to look at my resume and samples of my work below!

Live Fully.
Laugh Often.
Love Much.

Just Be.

- Alyssa

ARTICLE: ArtsEmerson Blog

Spoken Word: Defying Definition

By Alyssa Mulligan
Drawing inspiration from the Harlem Renaissance, blues and hip-hop music, spoken word cannot be simply defined: which suits this performance art and its fellow artists just fine, thank you. This lack of formal rules enables spoken word artists to experiment with structure, words and rhythm to provide social commentary on current events.
Spoken wGil Scott Heronord became popular in the 1960s with The Last Poets, an underground African-American community that sprung from the Civil Rights Movement. In 1970, Gil Scott Heron brought the art form to the mainstream’s attention with his piece The Revolution Will Not Be Televised, released on his album Small Talk at 125th and Lenox. In 1989, the Nuyorican Poets CafĂ© held one of the first documented poetry slams, a popular offshoot of spoken word where poets recite original work for a panel of judges selected from the audience.
Over the years, spoken word continued to create a Def Poetryfollowing, especially in the form of social activists and younger populations. MTV featured a very successful Spoken Word special in the 1990s, which featured established poets and musicians. The poetry slam movement continued to be popularized by Russell Simmons’ Def Poetry, an HBO television series that premiered in 2002. (Watch Universes, the company behind the upcoming production of Ameriville at ArtsEmerson, perform on Russell Simmons’ Def Poetry here.)
amerivilleSpoken word is visceral. Unstructured, rhythmic and socially charged, this surprising and dynamic art form refuses to be easily defined—you just have to experience it for yourself.
ameriville 2


Watch a clip showcasing spoken word from the upcoming performance of Ameriville.
Witness this art form for yourself as Ameriville’s Universes fuse spoken word with storytelling, jazz, gospel and hip hop. Ameriville is at ArtsEmerson for one week only! MARCH 13-18 on the Paramount Center Mainstage.