About Me

My photo
I am a theatre artist who is dedicated to integrating my dual passions: Theatre & Education. I am very devoted to helping students find their voice. It is my firm philosophy that creating theatre is crucial in shaping both individual and societal growth.
Welcome!

My name is Alyssa Mulligan.

I completed my undergraduate studies at the Pennsylvania State University, where I graduated at the top of my class with a B.A. in Theatre and a minor in Sociology. From stage to film, I have been fortunate to fill the roles of educator, actor, director, writer, producer, dramaturg, etc.

I was fortunate to work with the Walnut Street Theatre in Philadelphia as the 2009/10 Education Apprentice. My experiences there included integrating the arts into K-8th grade classroom curricula, running an after-school drama program, teaching courses at the Walnut, assistant teaching at HMS School for Children with Cerebral Palsy, developing various study guide materials for our multiple kids shows, and understudying all of the roles for our Touring Outreach Company.

I just recently completed my M.A. in Theatre Education at Emerson College in Boston, Massachusetts. While at Emerson College I was employed as both a Graduate Assistant to Dr. Robert Colby and in ArtsEmerson's Education/Outreach Department.

Currently, I am back in Philadelphia as a free-lance Teaching Artist working with theatre companies such as Walnut Street Theatre & Theatre Horizon. I am also employed by Darlington Arts Center as the Lead Teacher at their arts-based preschool.

Please feel free to look at my resume and samples of my work below!

Live Fully.
Laugh Often.
Love Much.

Just Be.

- Alyssa

ARTICLE: Darlington Arts Center Preschool

Sandy doesn’t disrupt Darlington Art Center’s Halloween

In spite of threatening Hurricane Sandy, Darlington Art Center (DAC) preschoolers gathered in their Halloween best to celebrate the holiday on Wednesday. Dressed in costumes including spiderman, a dinosaur, and a bumblebee, preschoolers in the Wednesday class presented a dramatic play with teaching artist Lisa Eckley-Cocchiarale entitled “The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything” for parents and fellow classmates.

Each student played the part of a spooky piece of clothing that challenged the protagonist to re-think her titular bravery: clomping sneakers, whooshing shirt, and a nodding hat, among others.

After the play, students from all preschool classes gathered for a Halloween parade and practiced “trick-or-treating” throughout the arts center.

DAC will hold a Preschool Open House 9 a.m.-noon, Thursday, Nov. 8 with a book reading by author Ariela Rossberg at 11:15 a.m. Rossberg will be reading her first storybook, “The Gray Days,” a story of child’s journey to rediscovering his imagination in a place where it no longer exists. All pre-school aged children and their parents are invited to attend. Thos e attending can sign up for the Winter/Spring Preschool ahead of the public registration date, Nov. 15. Light refreshments will also be served.

DAC is at 977 Shavertown Road, Garnet Valley. For more information, visit www.darlingtonarts.org or call 610-358-3632.


Teaching artist Alyssa Mulligan, Elizabeth Cocchiarale, Lauren Lucas, Benjamin Denworth (as the pumpkin head) and Lisa Eckley-Cocchiarale perform “The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything” for parents and fellow DAC classmates.